Sunday, March 1, 2009

Are Ethics Still Important?

When I was a kid, my parents and grandparents took the time to teach me ethics.

They didn’t do it by sitting me down and say son, today we’re going to learn about ethics. They taught me by their actions, by what they encouraged me to read and allowed me to watch on television and movies and encouraging me to participate in organizations such as Boy Souts, 4-H and FFA.

So I grew up reading about people like King Arthur, Abraham Lincoln, and watching John Wayne, Captain Kirk and Superman.

Growing up I was also a big fan of the Lone Ranger, Hopalong Cassidy and Doc Savage. All three of these characters were slightly before my time but they all had one thing in common, the were all the “good guys” and they all had ethics. Each one had a code for how they lived and encouraged others to live by their same credo.

So I thought it would be interesting to take a look at the creeds of the Lone Ranger, Doc Savage and Hopalong Cassidy then you can decide how or if they relate to the ethics of today.

Lone Ranger Creed

“I believe.....

• That to have a friend, a man must be one.

• That all men are created equal and that everyone has within himself the power to make this a better world.

• That God put the firewood there, but that every man must gather and light it himself.

• In being prepared physically, mentally, and morally to fight when necessary for that which is right.

• That a man should make the most of what equipment he has.

• That ‘this government of the people, by the people, and for the people’ shall live always.

• That men should live by the rule of what is best for the greatest number.

• That sooner or later...somewhere... somehow...we must settle with the world and make payment for what we have taken.

• That all things change but truth, and that truth alone, lives on forever.

• In my Creator, my country, my fellow man.”

Doc Savage creed

Let me strive, every moment of my life, to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, that all may profit by it. Let me think of the right, and lend all my assistance to those who need it, with no regard for anything but justice. Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage. Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens and my associates in everything I say and do. Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.

Hopalong Cassidy

• The highest badge of honor a person can wear is honesty. Be truthful at all times.

• Your parents are the best friends you have. Listen to them and obey their instructions.

• If you want to be respected, you must respect others. Show good manners in every way.

• Only through hard work and study can you succeed. Don’t be lazy.

• Your good deeds always come to light. So don’t boast or be a show-off.

• If you waste time or money today, you will regret it tomorrow. Practice thrift in all ways.

• Many animals are good and loyal companions. Be friendly and kind to them.

• A strong, healthy body is a precious gift. Be neat and clean.

• Our country’s laws are made for your protection. Observe them carefully.

• Children in many foreign lands are less fortunate than you. Be glad and proud you are an American.

Hokey? Maybe, but I try to follow many of these rules in my everyday life, and teach them to my children and I believe it makes us better human beings. It also makes my mother very happy.

Something to think about.

©2009 Michael Burke

4 comments:

  1. I was just reading about the importance of having a code of ethics and a can't remember where it was I saw it. The big idea was that it the researches proved that by having an oath and a code of ethics made a measurable difference in the behavior of the members.

    As hokey as it seems people really do buy into and live by the oaths that they make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Scouts in our Troop begin every meeting by reciting the Scout Oath and the Scout law. Yes, I think some people think the values articulated by these words may be a little old fashioned. No, I don’t think that every boy in the room is indeed a perfect kid that is living his life fully by these works. What I do know is they are worth repeating and I know somewhere deep inside we are planting seeds of ethics that will grow even if it may take longer for some than others. http://www.scouting.org/Media/FactSheets/02-503a.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's interesting that every form of entertainment for kids these days positions adults, and in the most extreme case, fathers, as mindless buffoons that can't even tie their own shoes. Are we telling kids they will only become less intelligent as they age, or are "we" telling kids this generation of adults somehow managed to reach adulthood without learning anything in the process. I must be one of them, or I would know this answer.

    ReplyDelete